Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tour Saint Jacques


The Tour Saint Jacques is a remaining from an old church that was demolished during the French Revolution.It's been standing here on the right bank for 5 centuries (built between 1509 and 1523) and is located in a square that took its name "Square de la Tour Saint Jacques".
Ever since I lived in Paris the tower was not visible but coverved because it was so old and fragile that rocks were sometimes falling. It's only in march this year that restoration work had been completed and that the tower was "un-packed". We then had the feeling of having a new monument given to Paris though it was only 500 years old ....

6 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Fabulous new/old monument! I'll have to add it to my list of must see places for my next trip to Paris!

Copenhagen said...

Historical monument should always be preserved carefully.

Amanda said...

As usual they did a great job renovating it.

Amanda said...

I am back again. I often forget to check your "travel blog" on the right side. Your pictures are so amazing. You are so lucky to be able to travel so often (even if it is for work). (J'ai un ami qui est stewart a Air France).

♥ E.T. Suzy ♥ said...

"Only" 500 years old - HA! Older than my country. I love how France protects its history. They really do make the country more beautiful.

DW Quilt Art said...

I love this tower! I know exactly where it is...right au coin de la rue from The Green Linnet :-) We happened upon it in March around the time of the unveiling, and I could barely find any information about this beautiful tower! Thanks for the lovely photo! Diane